Madurai Chithirai Brahmostavam Festival 2019 Dates Details
Madurai Chithirai Brahmostavam
Chithirai Festival is one of the biggest celebrations in Madurai. It is a two-week long Festival. It is commended with the passion and energy of a genuine wedding. It re-establishment of the wedding of Lord Sundereswara ( embodiment of Lord Shiva) and Goddess Meenakshi (Lord Vishnu’s Sister). Traditionally, Lord Vishnu has followers of High Caste. And Lord Shiva has those of Lower Caste. However, the marriage of Goddess Meenakshi to Lord Sundereswara who is the embodiment of Lord Shiva unites all the castes. This Festival is a great opportunity to feel local life in Madurai and see a traditional Hindu wedding ritual. It attracts people from different states other than Tamilnadu.
Madurai Chithirai Brahmostavam Festival 2019 Dates
The festival begins on the fifth day of the Tamil month Chithrai ( In English Calender it is April-May). In 2019, the Dates of Chithrai Festival are from
18 April 2019 to 3 May 2019
It is held at Shree Meenakshi Temple in Madurai. The parade takes place in the Masi Street around the Temple. The festival is celebrated with a great excitement and hype. And also with the enthusiasm of a real wedding. Also, an annual Chithirai exhibition is organized by the government at Tamukkam Grounds, in the Madurai City. The festival starts with a flag hoisting Ceremony.
Some Important Dates for Chithrai Festival are:
- April 25:- Pattabhishekam
- April 26:- Procession of Goddess Meenakshi
- April 27:- Thirukalyanam. Also called the Celestial wedding
- April 28:- Procession of Temple Chariots
- April 29:- Ethir Sevai Festival
- April 30:- Lord Kallazhagar( Lord Vishnu) enter to the River Vaigai
- May 3:- Lord Kallazhagar ( Lord Vishnu) returns to his temple on a palanquin decorated with flowers.